The 2015 Health Care Cost and Utilization Report shows that spending per privately insured averaged $5,141 in 2015, up $226 from the year before. Price increases were the primary driver.
Key Findings from this Report
- Health care spending averaged $5,141 per individual in 2015, up $226 from the year before.
- Out-of-pocket spending rose 3.0 percent in 2015, to an average of $813 per capita.
- Spending on prescription drugs grew faster than spending on any other health care service.
- Use of outpatient care and professional services rose slightly in 2015.
- Prices for outpatient, inpatient, professional services, and prescription drugs increased between 3.5-9.0 percent in 2015.
The report covers the period from 2012 through 2015 and includes claims data from four national insurance companies: Aetna, Humana, Kaiser Permanente, and UnitedHealthcare.