September 9, 2014
September 9 , 2014: The Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI) and the National Academy for State Health Policy (NASHP) announced today that they are launching a new grant program to fund research studies that will analyze how the states are implementing the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and other health reforms.
September 4, 2014
Assurant Health, NCQA, Harvard Pilgrim, Health Net, Kaiser Permanente and Partners Healthcare Join Health Care Cost Institute Initiative to Advance Health Care Cost and Quality Transparency
September 4 , 2014: The Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI) announced today that Assurant Health will join three other major health insurance companies, Aetna, Humana and UnitedHealthcare, to work with HCCI as it develops free online tools that will offer consumers the most comprehensive information about the price and quality of health care services.
August 26, 2014
August 26 , 2014: Vermonters with employer sponsored health insurance spent less on health care but their spending grew faster than the national average in the years before implementation of the state’s health reform law, says a new study from the Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI) prepared in cooperation with the Green Mountain Care Board (GMCB).
August 4, 2014
August 4 , 2014: Approximately 70 percent of the recent decline in health care spending growth from 2009-2011 was due to the economic downturn, and not to other factors such as health sector responses to the Affordable Care Act, according to a new study published in the August issue of Health Affairs.
July 8, 2014
Health Care Cost Institute's National Cost and Quality Reporting Effort Gains Momentum With CMS Granting HCCI Access to Medicare Data
July 8, 2014: The Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI) announced today that the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has certified HCCI as the first national “Qualified Entity”
May 14, 2014
Major US Health Plans Agree to Give Consumers Free Access to Timely Information About Health Care Prices to Foster Greater Transparency
May 14, 2014: — The Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI) announced today that it will work with three of the nation’s largest health insurance companies to develop and provide free consumer access to an online tool that will offer the most accurate and timely information about the price and quality of health care services.
February 28, 2014
February 28, 2014: The Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI) has signed letters of intent with 10 leading research, actuarial, and government organizations to license access to HCCI’s detailed claims data for research studies and PhD dissertations.
February 27, 2014
Despite Recession, Children’s Health Care Spending Increased Every Year Between 2009-2012, Says New Report
February 27, 2014: New Report from HCCI Shows Health Care Spending Higher For Boys than Girls; Rise in Teen Use of Prescriptions and Mental Health Services; Spending on Babies Highest of Any Children’s Age Group
January 27, 2014
January 27, 2014: An article on big health care data by HCCI's David Newman, Carolina Herrera, Amanda Frost, and Stephen Parente is featured today in Health Affairs' blog.
December 16, 2013
December 16, 2013: New Report from HCCI Shows Diagnosed Diabetes is on the Rise among Americans with Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance.
News Articles and Interviews
- Kliff, Sara. “Health Insurance Costs Grew Slowly for Two Years. Now, They’re Speeding Up.” The Washington Post. September 25, 2012.
- Wayne, Alex. “Health-Care Price Rise Poses Challenge for U.S. Overhaul” Bloomberg. September 25, 2012.
- Gura, David. “Health Care Spending Grows 4% After Downward Trend” Marketplace. September 25, 2012.
- Appleby, Julie. “Higher Prices By Hospitals, Other Providers, Drove 2011 Spending Increases, Study Finds” Kaiser Health News. September 25, 2012.
- Geisel, Jerry. “Group Health Care Spending Up in 2011: Analysis.” Business Insurance. September 25, 2012.
- Snowbeck, Christopher. “Health Care Costs Hint at Inflation” St. Paul Pioneer Press. September 25, 2012.
- “Americans are Spending More on Health Care Before ACA Takes Effect” PBS Nightly Business Report. September 26, 2012.
- Pear, Robert. “Doctor Fees Major Factor in Health Costs, Study Says.” The New York Times. September 8, 2011.
- Rau, Jordan. “Studies: Doctors, Hospitals Profit as Health Costs Rise.” Kaiser Health News. September 8, 2011.
- Baker, Sam. “House Dems Outline Healthcare Savings for Supercomittee.” The Hill. September 8, 2011.
- Lewis, Katherine. “Medical Practices Work on Ways to Serve Patients and Bottom Line.” The New York Times. September 7, 2011.
- Rehm, Diane. Interview with Dr. John Wennberg, Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy; Daniel Callahan, The Hasting Center; Karen Ignani, President and CEO America’s Health Insurance Plans. The Diane Rehm Show, National Public Radio. June 30, 2011.
- Bowser, Betty Ann. “Study: Health Care Spending Will Continue Rising, But Modestly.” PBS News Hour. September 9, 2010.
- Khan, Huma. “Why Health Care Costs Keep Rising: What You Need to Know.” ABC News. March 9, 2010.
- Gawande, Atul. “The Hot Spotters.” The New Yorker. January 24, 2011.
- Collins, Margaret. “Health Savings Plans Let Firms Shift More Costs to Workers.” Bloomberg. September 7, 2011.
- Hobson, Katherine. “Hospital Workers Big Consumers of Medical Services.” The Wall Street Journal Health Blog. September 12, 2011.