October 7, 2013
Press Release: New Health Affairs Study Looks At Health Care Spending During and After the Recession
October 7, 2013: A new study using HCCI data examines changes in spending on medical services and prescriptions between 2007 and 2011.
September 20, 2013
September 24, 2013: The third annual health care cost and utilization report from HCCI
May 13, 2013
May 15, 2013: A new Society of Actuaries study using HCCI data tracks the impact of aging on health care costs.
April 1, 2013
The Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI) is pleased to announce that we have entered into a three-year partnership with the Vermont Department of Financial Regulation and the Green Mountain Care Board. This partnership will advance and improve public reporting on health care in the state of Vermont and the nation. With this partnership, Vermont becomes the first state in the country to compare its health care spending for commercially insured Vermonters against national spending benchmarks.
February 26, 2013
Issue Brief: The Impact of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act on Inpatient Admissions
The Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 (“Parity Act”) increased access to mental health and substance use services in hospitals, yet consumers continued to pay more out-of-pocket for substance use admissions than for other types of hospital admissions, finds a new Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI) report.
February 25, 2013
Press Release: The Impact of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act on Inpatient Admissions Report
February 27, 2013: HCCI Analysis Suggests Jump in Spending on Mental Health-Substance Use Admissions
February 7, 2013
Summary: A look at HCCI's research and reports in 2012.
September 25, 2012
Since 2009, health care spending growth had been on a downward trajectory. With a sluggish economy, many experts anticipated a modest growth rate for 2011.
September 25, 2012
September 25, 2012: After a Two-Year Slowdown, Health Care Spending Grew 4.6 Percent Per Capita in 2011, Says HCCI Report
July 1, 2012
On July 1, 2012, HCCI released the 2007-2010 Children’s Health Care Spending Report. View the report, press release, infographics, and more.
News Articles and Interviews
- Kliff, Sara. “Health Insurance Costs Grew Slowly for Two Years. Now, They’re Speeding Up.” The Washington Post. September 25, 2012.
- Wayne, Alex. “Health-Care Price Rise Poses Challenge for U.S. Overhaul” Bloomberg. September 25, 2012.
- Gura, David. “Health Care Spending Grows 4% After Downward Trend” Marketplace. September 25, 2012.
- Appleby, Julie. “Higher Prices By Hospitals, Other Providers, Drove 2011 Spending Increases, Study Finds” Kaiser Health News. September 25, 2012.
- Geisel, Jerry. “Group Health Care Spending Up in 2011: Analysis.” Business Insurance. September 25, 2012.
- Snowbeck, Christopher. “Health Care Costs Hint at Inflation” St. Paul Pioneer Press. September 25, 2012.
- “Americans are Spending More on Health Care Before ACA Takes Effect” PBS Nightly Business Report. September 26, 2012.
- Pear, Robert. “Doctor Fees Major Factor in Health Costs, Study Says.” The New York Times. September 8, 2011.
- Rau, Jordan. “Studies: Doctors, Hospitals Profit as Health Costs Rise.” Kaiser Health News. September 8, 2011.
- Baker, Sam. “House Dems Outline Healthcare Savings for Supercomittee.” The Hill. September 8, 2011.
- Lewis, Katherine. “Medical Practices Work on Ways to Serve Patients and Bottom Line.” The New York Times. September 7, 2011.
- Rehm, Diane. Interview with Dr. John Wennberg, Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy; Daniel Callahan, The Hasting Center; Karen Ignani, President and CEO America’s Health Insurance Plans. The Diane Rehm Show, National Public Radio. June 30, 2011.
- Bowser, Betty Ann. “Study: Health Care Spending Will Continue Rising, But Modestly.” PBS News Hour. September 9, 2010.
- Khan, Huma. “Why Health Care Costs Keep Rising: What You Need to Know.” ABC News. March 9, 2010.
- Gawande, Atul. “The Hot Spotters.” The New Yorker. January 24, 2011.
- Collins, Margaret. “Health Savings Plans Let Firms Shift More Costs to Workers.” Bloomberg. September 7, 2011.
- Hobson, Katherine. “Hospital Workers Big Consumers of Medical Services.” The Wall Street Journal Health Blog. September 12, 2011.